What To Do When You Wake Up At 2:00 AM
Do you ever wake up in the middle of the night? About once or twice a month, I wake up and cannot go back to sleep. Now before you start recommending medication to me, let me just say, I am not complaining.
Actually, I look forward to these times. Some of my best ideas come when I cannot sleep. Typically it involves about three hours of heightened energy, ideas, and focus. The best part is I am able to do whatever I want free of interruptions.
If you ever have this happen to you, perhaps the following ideas will be helpful for you. These are 5 things you can do when you wake up at 2:00 am.
- Work on your big idea. Like I said, I have a ton of energy and ideas when I wake up like this. Typically I try to put those creative juices to work on any major project I am working on or even weekly projects.
- Read. Finish that book you are reading. Go through the pile of newsletters, emails, etc that you have been meaning to read. Review that article your friend or coworker recommended.
- Write. Whether it be a journal entry, a blog post or an idea for your house, when you have ideas, you should write them down. I love writing blog posts during this time.
- Pray. Having a quiet and interruption free environment is essential to quality prayer. I would say especially if you have energy but do not want to “work,” prayer is a great option. If you have children, this may be your only opportunity!
- Relax. How do you best relax? Grab a warm beverage, sit on the couch and treasure the peaceful moment.
Of course, all of the above suggestions are assuming that you are not wanting to go back to sleep. I can typically tell when I am just awake. Trying to go back to sleep is a waste of time, so I make the most of this opportunity.
What suggestions do you have for when you wake up full of energy in the middle of the night? Please share in the comments section.