Read with Me: Essentialism by Greg McKeown
I just listened to an amazing podcast. Last week Michael Hyatt and Michele Cushatt interviewed Greg McKeown, author of Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less, on the This Is Your Life podcast. Go here to listen to this podcast episode.
This interview was so good, I plan to listen to it on at least an annual basis to refocus me on the things I really need to be doing. Here are some of the notes I took.
1) Don’t be busy and unproductive.
2) What do I need to do and what do I need to stop doing? The first part here is the most important. What is essential? Everything else is not.
3) Journal – I’ve always struggled to do this. What I like about what Greg McKeown was saying, is that he comes back to his journal on a quarterly basis and uses it to determine what he will do and not do the next quarter.
4) Quarterly Offsite – This was the big assignment given to the listener. I am planning mine for July. What about you?
5) Essentialism is the disciplined pursuit of less. That sound good doesn’t it? I get distracted by so many things. I need help focusing. As one friend says, “I have vision ADD.”
Tell me where you are at in the comments section. If you are going to read it with me, let me know. If you have already read Essentialism, what was your biggest takeaway? Thanks for sharing.